You can now transfer accounts from one Switch to another, record videos of your best gaming moments and more
Nintendo has released an update for its Switch console that adds some exciting new features.
The 4.00 update hit the system today and along with it came the ability to record gameplay clips, transfer accounts (and save data) from one Switch to another, choose from a selection of new user icons (including some from Super Mario Odyssey), pre-purchase games on the eShop and more.
Unfortunately, the profile transfer doesn’t allow for backups, rather it moves the profile off of its original system onto a new one.
It does bring along with it your saved data, but it’s not quite the functionality many users were hoping for. Perhaps Nintendo will add that in the next update. Being able to backup save files is pretty important.
The video capture feature is also limited to certain games right now and there is no word from Nintendo on if or when more titles will be supported. The language in the patch notes suggest more will be added later though as it says those titles are supported as of today.
You can view the full patch notes below. Let us know in the comments what your favorite new feature in the 4.00 update is and what you’d like to see Nintendo add next.
Improvements Included in Version 4.0.0 (Distributed 10/18/2017) (As written by Nintendo).
Added the following system functionality
- Capture video on select games
- To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay
- Up to a maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
- As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2
- Select from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Transfer user and save data to another system
- To transfer, head to System Settings > Users > Transfer Your User and Save Data
- Pre-purchase option on Nintendo eShop
- A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.
- This feature will be supported by future game releases
- News channel updates
- The news feed has been updated with a new look.
- Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel’s content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.
- Match software version with a group of local users
- To create a group, head to the software’s Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
- Everyone’s software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
- All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Changed the specification which hid wireless networks using TKIP security from the network search results. Wireless networks using TKIP security will now display in search results as a grayed-out selection instead of not being displayed
- The Nintendo Switch console supports WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), and WPA2-PSK(AES). If your router is using a different security type (e.g. WPA-PSK(TKIP)), you will need to change this security type within your router’s settings.
More information about the update, including how to update your system is available at this link.