Everything announced and shown at the Gamescom 2019 Opening Night Live event + recaps of Microsoft & Nintendo’s streaming events
Gamescom kicked off today with its Opening Night Live (ONL) event that featured lots of world premieres, gameplay and trailers for upcoming games.
It was hosted by Geoff Keighley of The Game Awards.
Highlights included NFS Heat and Gears 5 gameplay as well as tons of new game announcements. Check out a recap below.
Also below are links to a replay and a recap, respectively, of Nintendo and Microsoft’s pre-Gamescom online events.
Nintendo announced a host of new indie games and Microsoft’s Inside Xbox showed details of many of the company’s upcoming games, including Gears 5, new games coming to Xbox Games Pass and more information on games like Gears Pop! and lot of others.
Gamescom 2019 Opening Night Live recap:
- Gears of War 5: New campaign story trailer shown; more details about Hoard mode and more more discussed.
- World Premiere: Comanche (THQ Nordic); gameplay shown.
- World Premiere: DCL The Game (THQ Nordic)
- NFS Heat: Gameplay shown. Heat Studio app is available now and allows gamers to create liveries and more and push them to the game when it comes out Nov. 8.
- World Premiere: Kerbal Space Program 2 (2020 for PC, Xbox and PlayStation)
- World Premiere: Little Nightmares 2 (PC, Xbox, PlayStation, Switch)
- Predator: Hunting Grounds – 4v1 gameplay shown and new details shared.
- World Premiere: Monster Hunter Iceborne expansion trailer shown.
- The Cycle – footage shown and new gameplay discussed
- World Premiere: Life is Strange 2 – Episode 4 of 5 out Aug. 22; trailer shown.
- World Premiere: Humankind (trailer)
- Borderlands 3: Gameplay and information shared.
- World Premiere: Everspace 2 (trailer)
- The Witcher 3: Complete Edition coming to Nintendo Switch Oct. 15, 2019
- FIFA 20 to include Volta street football/soccer mode. Gameplay and story trailer shown.Game coming Sept. 27, 2019.
- World Premiere: Disintegration (coming in 2020 from the original Halo creators)
- Guilt (Google Stadia exclusive & launch title) – Gameplay shown.
- Destiny 2: ShadowKeep – Expansion discussed. New trailer shown.
- World Premiere: Remothered: Broken Porcelain – trailer shown.
- Magic: The Gathering Arena – New information discussed, coming to Epic Games Store this winter.
- Breaking News: Sony has purchased Insomniac Games
- Erica: An Interactive Thriller – Trailer shown, game is out now on PlayStation 4.
- Anno – new footage of upcoming content shown.
- World Premiere: Port Royale 4 (trailer)
- World Premiere: Iron Harvest (trailer)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – new information and trailer shared.
- Hideo Kojima on-stage segment to discuss Death Stranding. New character named Mama played by Margaret Qualley introduced. Deadman played by Guillermo del Toro also revealed along with BB, the baby the main character Sam carries with him. Gameplay shown. Geoff Keighley revealed as playing a character in the game. However, Keighley’s character is voiced by Matthew Mercer. More details about what players will be doing in the game were shared by Kojima, including that the player is trying to reconnect the east and west and will have side missions and characters (like the Keighley character) that will help the player along the way.